Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Broke Ass Gourmet - Hearty Quinoa Salad = Yum!

I recently discovered "Broke Ass Gourmet" and have road tested a few of the recipes. So far, I'm impressed! They're inexpensive, simple and very tasty. They also require very little time.

I tried the Hearty Quinoa Salad today. There are no tricks up this recipe's sleeve, everything is so straightforward that I assumed it would be fairly bland, but it was fantastic! Such a fun mix to flavors! The simplicity of the recipes is great because it's teaching me about some basic combinations that work very well together.

I altered the recipe a bit by tossing the garlic into the pan for the last few minutes of cooking the sausage, instead of using the garlic raw. Also, the recipe seems to be missing the information about what to do with the sausage. Fortunately, while I'm fairly new to the ways of the kitchen, I'm not a complete idiot.

I don't eat pork, and it's nearly impossible to find a sausage that doesn't use pork casing, so I substituted the Italian Sausage flavored Tofurky. Also, I forgot to add the olive oil at the end, but the salad was more than succulant enough without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment